Skip To Content

Smallholder Farm Insurance

Insurance Protection to cover ALL your Smallholding Property, Livestock and Liability needs.  Whether you run your smallholding or small farm (under 50 acres) for business or pleasure, we can help ensure the efforts of your time and money are protected.

Whether you run your smallholding or small farm (under 50 acres) for business or pleasure, we can help ensure the efforts of your time and money are protected.

We understand that smallholders lead very busy lives, be that working their ‘9-5’ or spending leisure time on their passion: their smallholding. That’s why with Smallholder Protect® you choose what time suits you to buy your insurance. With 24/7 access, getting a quote and protecting your smallholding couldn’t be easier AND with the policy starting from only £320.00* [includes administration fee and insurance premium tax] the price is competitive too! 
*IPT = Insurance Premium Tax at 12.0%

As with all smallholding insurance, we cover what matters most:

  • Property
  • Livestock
  • Agri Contents
  • All your Liability Needs
  • Plus we can also include your home and contents insurance - so everything is covered under one policy

Finding insurance cover specifically for the needs of a smallholder is a big issue which is why we have worked with a reputable insurance underwriter to provide an online option to those with less than 50 acres of land from the consequences of liability, loss or damage.

With 24/7 access, getting a quote and protecting your smallholding couldn’t be easier

Get a quote

Why Choose Us?
We fully appreciate that small scale farmers may not face as many problems as their larger neighbours, but they still have an enterprise to run. The assets of this business need protecting, and the threats and liabilities are just as real.   As an insurance broker with almost 40 years’ agricultural experience we fully understand the needs of both the small scale and the large scale farmers and as we are independent brokers, we will be able to find suitable insurance cover for either.

Very competitively priced, Smallholder Protect® also boasts a wide range of cover such as agricultural buildings and contents, livestock, plus all liability needs – public, product and even employers. It can also include home and contents insurance if you choose to – so everything is covered under the one policy with one renewal date to remember. Cover for Employer’s Liability is included as standard and extends to helpers and friends who lend you a hand on a voluntary basis – an essential in today’s world.

Note: This policy is not suitable for Alpaca owners or breeders who are looking for alpaca related activity cover ie trekking, meet & greets, attending external venues (schools, hospices) etc.

Smallholder Protect

Insurance designed to cover farms below 50 acres or areas of land used for agricultural or grazing purposes.

Smallholder Protect® has been designed with you in mind and offers cover for small farms, smallholdings as well as your liability needs.

You simply choose the cover to suit you; with standard benefits such as public and employer’s liability as well as cover for your contents. You can also tailor Smallholder Protect® to match your needs: for example, add our optional household insurance or legal expenses as well as covering your livestock so all your insurance is covered in one place and on the one renewal date.

Cover starts from just £320 including IPT* [includes administration fee and insurance premium tax]
*Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) at 12.0%. Terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations apply.

Smallholding Farm Insurance FAQ’s
1. What does Smallholder Protect cover?
  • Agricultural buildings up to £75,000
  • Agricultural Content insurance: covering produce, deadstock and tools up to £5,000
  • Livestock
    • Up to £20,000: theft and mysterious disappearance is included as standard
    • Fatal injury, both straying and on your own land
  • Household Buildings up to £600,000
  • Household Contents up to £100,000
  • Personal Possessions up to £10,000
  • Public Liability of £5m
  • Employer’s liability of £5m as standard
  • Optional Environmental Impairment Liability up to £500,000
  • Optional Legal Expenses of up to £100,000
2. Does Smallholder Protect cover anything else?
  • exhibiting Livestock at registered agricultural shows and/or events held within the Territorial Limits (see * below)
  • retail sales of associated agricultural produce at gate and/or farmers’ markets, unless the produce has been processed;
  • caravan / camping site up to 10 pitches;
  • DIY Livery for up to 6 horses;
  • bed and breakfast;
  • school visits but not open farms or tourist attractions;
  • hiring out of Your Livestock for stud purposes excluding horses;
  • sale of hay and straw, grown by You for animal feed purposes;
  • private shoots up to a maximum of 10 days per year not advertised or operated for profit
  • agricultural contracting (excluding crop spraying) for which You do not receive a fee
3. How and when can I arrange cover?

You can apply for cover 24/7 365 days, instantly online from a date you choose (up to 30 days in advance).  If happy with your quote, call the office on 01228 406290 during office hours, for us to take payment and to make the policy live. Once you have paid we will email you all your documentation

4. What makes this policy different?

You have the flexibility to add different covers as well as buy online 24/7 365 days at a time to suit you

5. Who is this policy for?

Smallholder Protect® has been created to cater for smallholdings, small working farms or hobby farms with less than 50 acres.  If you fall outside this description, we can still assist you but you’ll need to call us on 01228 406290 and we will chat through your requirements to ensure you have the right cover in place

6. Do you provide cover for Livestock?

Yes, up to a sum insured of £20,000, with theft and mysterious disappearance included as standard. You can also include fatal injury, both straying and on your own land

7. What if I fall outside the criteria?

The policy is designed to meet the vast majority of smallholding risks, however if you do fall outside of our policy limitations, then simply call us on 01228 406319 and we can look at getting the right cover in place

8. Can I include my home buildings?

Yes, as an optional extra. Contents can also be included

9. Do I need Employers’ Liability?

Employers’ Liability (EL) cover protects a business and its owners from any liability claims made by employees who have been injured at work, or suffered from a work related illness/disease. While most smallholders do not actually employ staff, it is still advisable to have EL cover in place for anyone (including friends and relatives) who help out on your land whether paid or not.   We include EL cover as standard (cannot be removed) across all levels of cover, and up to a £10m limit of indemnity

10. What are the territorial limits?

To be eligible for Smallholder Protect your smallholding must be situated within England, Wales, Scotland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands

11. How would I make a claim?

In the first instance, you can complete our online claim form or contact us direct on 01228 406290.  Full details are included within your policy documentation and/or confirmation of cover email