starts from


incl IPT*

Frequently Asked Questions

What do we cover?

  • Agricultural buildings up to £75,000
  • Agricultural Content insurance: covering produce, deadstock, machinery and tools up to £5,000
  • Livestock
    • Up to £20,000: theft and mysterious disappearance is included as standard
    • Fatal injury, both straying and on your own land
  • Household Buildings up to £750,000
  • Household Contents up to £100,000
  • Personal Possessions up to £10,000
  • Public Liability of £5m
  • Employer’s liability of £5m as standard
  • Optional Environmental Impairment Liability up to £500,000
  • Optional Legal Expenses of up to £100,000

In addition, the policy will cover:

  • exhibiting Livestock at registered agricultural shows and/or events held within the Territorial Limits (see * below)
  • retail sales of associated agricultural produce at gate and/or farmers’ markets, unless the produce has been processed;
  • caravan / camping site up to 10 pitches;
  • DIY Livery for up to 6 horses;
  • bed and breakfast;
  • school visits but not open farms or tourist attractions;
  • hiring out of Your Livestock for stud purposes excluding horses;
  • sale of hay and straw, grown by You for animal feed purposes;
  • private shoots up to a maximum of 10 days per year not advertised or operated for profit
  • agricultural contracting (excluding crop spraying) for which You do not receive a fee

Who is this policy for?
Smallholder Protect® has been created to cater for smallholdings, small working farms or hobby farms with less than 50 acres.  If you fall outside this description, we can still assist you but you’ll need to call us on T: 01228 406290 and we will chat through your requirements to ensure you have the right cover in place

How/when can I arrange cover?
You can arrange cover 24/7 365 days, instantly online from a date you choose (up to 30 days in advance). Once you have paid we will email you all your documentation

What makes this policy different?
You have the flexibility to add different covers as well as buy online 24/7 365 days at a time to suit you

What if I fall outside the criteria?
The policy is designed to meet the vast majority of smallholding risks, however if you do fall outside of our policy limitations, then simply call us on 01228 406319 and we can look at getting the right cover in place

Do you provide cover for Livestock?
Yes, up to a sum insured of £20,000, with theft and mysterious disappearance included as standard. You can also include fatal injury, both straying and on your own land

What are the territorial limits?*
To be eligible for Smallholder Protect your smallholding must be situated within England, Wales, Scotland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands

Do I need Employers’ Liability?
Employers’ Liability (EL) cover protects a business and its owners from any liability claims made by employees who have been injured at work, or suffered from a work related illness/disease. While most smallholders do not actually employ staff, it is still advisable to have EL cover in place for anyone (including friends and relatives) who help out on your land whether paid or not. To make sure you are covered we have included EL cover as standard across all levels of cover, and up to a £10m limit of indemnity

How would I make a claim?
In the first instance, you can complete our online claim form or contact us direct on 01228 406319.  Full details are included within your policy documentation and/or confirmation of cover email

Can I include my home buildings?
Yes, as an optional extra. Contents can also be included